ACCESS STATEMENT FOR THE BEST WESTERN WESSEX ROYALE HOTEL
Our property is set in a busy town centre road and offers twenty-nine guest rooms. The property is over one hundred years old and whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some features which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. There are steps into the property and most doors are narrow and may not be suitable for wheelchair users.
- We are situated at the top of a hill leading from the town centre.
- There is a frequent bus service with a bus stop situated 200 metres away. The road is flat and there is a pedestrian crossing.
- There are plentiful taxi services and we can make a booking for you if necessary. The largest is Dorset Cars which have extensive facilities for customers with special needs.
- Brochures and menus can be viewed on our website. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in Braille.
- Our website www.wessexroyalehotel.co.uk provides pictures of our accommodation and further information about the services we provide.
- You can contact us by telephone, e-mail or fax. Please see the Contact Information section of this document for full details.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities.
- We have limited parking leading straight from the road but some spaces are narrow. The surface is tarmac and slightly sloped.
- To ensure your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not normally arrive before 2.00pm. Earlier arrival is usually possible by arrangement.
- We can offer assistance with your luggage if required. Our contact telephone number is clearly displayed outside.
Main Entrance & Reception.
- The front door is always locked. Please ring the bell for assistance on arrival. The door is single width and can be fully opened if required. There is a raised doorframe to step over. The doormat is fixed and level.
- Upon check-in, guests have their own electronic key card to gain access.
- There is one step from the entrance to reception which is 8 cm high.
- There is seating provided in reception.
- Registration is done standing or seated if required.
- Hallways are carpeted and are 100cm wide on the ground floor and 90 cm wide on upper floors.
- We have three floors reached by carpeted stairs. There is no lift. There are manually opening glass panel fire doors. Lighting is by energy saving bulbs.
- Guest rooms have one electronic key card lock.
- We no longer have a public telephone as most of our customers now use mobiles but we allow use of our telephone if required.
Dining Room, Bar & Lounge.
- Guests may use the bar/lounge/dining room during the daytime and early evenings. The doors are 80cm wide. There is a mixture of soft sofa and harder backed seating. The floor is carpeted. Lighting is by energy saving bulbs.
- Breakfast is generally served in the dining room but may be served in bedrooms with prior arrangement.
- Tables are movable, with a central support column. Some chairs do not have arms.
- Most dietary requirements can be catered for. Please ask us at the time of booking.
- Breakfast is waiter/ess service and help is available with ordering from the menu.
- There are four ground floor bedrooms.
- All rooms are carpeted with tiled flooring to the en-suite bathrooms.
- The beds are divans and of a standard height of 66cm from the ground.
- Not all of our bedrooms are currently suitable for wheelchair users.
- A cordless kettle is provided with water level indicator and plug in at waist height.
- Televisions have remote controls.
- Doors are 74cm wide and have no steps.
- Lighting is by energy saving bulbs.
- The fire alarm sounds with a loud bell. Please let us know if you need assistance in the event of the alarm sounding or if you may not be able to hear the bell.
- Please ask us at the time of booking if you need a bedroom with extra space.
Bathroom/Shower Room & WC
- Most en-suite facilities have showers over baths. Six rooms have walk-in showers with one ground floor room having level access. They are tiled and painted in white and have dark tiled flooring.
- All showers are raised 26cm from the floor. Some shower cubicles are larger at 80cm wide.
- Some en-suite bathrooms have sliding doors. Most showers have hinged doors, some are the folding type. Some en-suites have larger basins with central twist/turn mixer taps.
- Please ask us at the time of booking if you need an en-suite with extra space.
- One of our bathrooms is suitable for wheelchair users.